Monday, August 27, 2012

Mac 'N Cheese

     This post was initially titled "Seeing Double", but because I'm enjoying some mac n cheese courtesy of the dayroom microwave, and because it still fits the subject, I'm going with it :)
      There's a theory that everyone has a "twin", someone who either looks or acts very much like them, or complements them perfectly- like mac 'n cheese :) I, personally, have found mine, her name starts with an A and I can't even count the number of times people have confused us or we have thought we were each other in pictures. Once I even glanced in the mirror and thought it was her. No joke.
     This weekend my orientation group went on a retreat and this idea became even more solidified in mind. The retreat was at a christain campsite and, though the scenery and activities were different, I couldn't help thinking how similar it was to CSR, the camp I go to every summer. Almost identical ropes course, living in cabins, even the smell. We did a lot of really fun activities (ropes course, tie-dye, salsa dancing, and this game with pool balls, during which I expressed my very competitive nature) and had a number of workshops meant to make us more comfortable with each other and with the UWC mission. It was really cool and I had a chance to meet and get to know a lot great people. And I couldn't help thinking how much some people reminded me of people at home.
     This isn't the first time this happened. When I was in Spain with the Oxbridge Program two years ago I made the same observation. Several of the people had extremely similar personalities and appearances to friends back home, and two even had the same name. It's kind of crazy. With 7 billion people on the planet and an infinite number of possible genetic combinations for appearance and personality, how can people be the same everywhere? And what are the odds they find each other?
     So that was my interesting observation of the weekend that I thought I'd share with you guys :) I really am having fun here, though we'll see if that changes tomorrow when classes start.
     Also, a shout-out to my friends from home who have been keeping in touch- y'all are great!
     Aaaand on a completely unrelated note, I love getting mail and I'd love to hear from everyone! So send me a letter:

Jessika Nebrat
PO Box 417
Montezuma, NM 87731

Thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment